Over the next few months, we are going to write some articles that take a look at us, our team and a bit of a “behind the scenes” theme.
Its fair to say that the last couple of years have been a faster ride than we thought it was going to be! In less than two years, we have built Tailored Team Building and Corporate Amazing Race from a smaller, strictly East Coast of Australia operation into something much bigger! We are now a truly Australia-wide team building company with the ability to service multiple events, across all states, at the same time, for very small and very large teams (in the coming months we are hosting 6 events with well over 300 people at each one – the largest being potentially 1000 people in Adelaide!). Plus Tailored Team Building New Zealand is now up and running in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and the rest of the country.
With the hectic ride in full swing, we have managed to find time to build and train new team members across both countries and all states and even do some Team Building for them! However, what do we (Kerri and myself) do to keep motivated and continue to work well together (or at least not attempt to kill each other every now and then)? Good question!
First of all we are best friends and have been friends for a long time. Neither of us have any issue in being honest (brutally sometimes) with each other without any fear of the other taking offense. Secondly we are both hugely passionate about what we do and what we are building together and have the same vision and ambition.
We do need to blow off some steam sometimes however, and need to do something outside of our business that tests our ability to work together – very much like we design for our clients.
Our answer, among a few other things, is escape rooms! Yes that’s right, we take a break from designing puzzles and challenges for others, to solve puzzles and challenges together! We get to have fun, switch the brain into a different mode for a while and work together outside of our normal environment. We have been complimented so many times by escape room games masters on the way we communicate with each other.
So, with that in mind, here is a list of our favourite and most memorable escape rooms we have conquered! Note that these are in no particular order and are purely my personal memorable rooms.
- Extraction @ The Curium Experience (Melbourne) – www.curium.com.au – The most immersive room we have played. Great story line and massive set including slides, crawling through air ducts and more. Fantastic effects too.
- La Rebellion @ The Cipher Room (St Peters, Sydney) – www.cipherroom.com.au – The Cipher Room is one my favourite companies for Escape Rooms. Two locations and awesome rooms.
- Into The Dark @ Codebreakers (Christchurch NZ) – www.codebreakers.nz – A unique experience! The room is completely pitch black meaning communication becomes critical. Great puzzles with a twist.
- Buried @ Padlocked Escape Rooms (Surfer’s Paradise) – www.padlockd.com.au – Not for the claustrophobic! You and your partner are locked in two different coffins! A big test of communication between players.
- The Mystery of the Missing Crown Jewels @ Xcape (Wellington NZ) – www.xcape.nz/lowerhutt – Great puzzles, great theming and sets and some twists that we haven’t seen before.
Did you know that we have designed our own online escape room game (award winning I might add) and a lot of our puzzles and activities take inspiration from the escape rooms we have done ourselves. Also we can include escape rooms in a wider activity for you and your team.